Wooden Mate Cup with Dismountable Bombilla
GOURD´S CAPACITY : Will hold aprox 1oz of dried loose Yerba.
BOMBILLA´S LENGTH : 5.3" - 15cm
Before you use your new wooden mate cup for the first time, we suggest to rinse it with hot to just-boiled water a couple of times as sometimes wood releases resins and/or tannins. Wood is highly sensitive to temperature changes so we suggest you increase the water temperature gradually.
The water may look brown at first but this is in no way harmful. We suggest to repeat the process until you get clear water when draining the cup.
Since they are temperature-sensitive, wooden mate cups may crack when they dry out. To avoid this, you should rinse the cup thoroughly and put fresh water into the cup until you are ready to use it the next time.
If you drink mate every day, you may leave the moist mate in the cup overnight until you are ready to prepare your next cup. Do not leave the moist tea in the cup over 24 hours as it will mold.
1. Fill gourd with 3/4s yerba mate tea.
2. Push yerba mate to one side of the gourd with a spoon on your bombilla, creating a mountain of mate on one side.
3. Add room temperature or cold water to this open space (known as the 'waterhole') and allow to sit for 30 seconds.
4. Insert your bombilla to the side you poured the water, then begin sipping.
5. Proceed with adding hot (not exceeding 165ºF) or cold water and enjoy until the mate becomes tasteless.